Your Friendly, Professional, Chimney Sweep in the Bangor and North Down area

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no smell, colour or taste. It can be released by any appliance that burns oil, solid fuel, wood or gas.

The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are:

Headaches, Nausea, Breathlessness, Dizziness, Collapse, Loss of conciousness

According to the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England (November 2013), accidental carbon monoxide poisoning results in recorded cases of around 40 deaths and 200 hospitalisations each year in England & Wales. Those most at risk are the under 14s and the over 65s, accounting for 31 per cent and 25 per cent of hospital admissions respectively.

What are the signs of carbon monoxide?

Boiler pilot light flames burning orange instead of blue

Sooty stains on or near appliance

Excessive condensation in the room

Coal or wood fires that burn slowly or go out

Families suffering prolonged, flu-like symptoms.

How can I reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Use professionals to annually service any other fossil-fuel burning appliances, such as oil or coal burning stoves

Have your gas appliances serviced annually by a gas engineer who is registered with Gas Safe Register

Fix carbon monoxide detectors in your home; these can be purchased from DIY-type stores

Ensure detectors are maintained and replaced according to packaging instructions.

Next Post Previous Post